If you are anything like me, you hate the very idea of throwing away perfectly good food! I’m always looking to find ways to re-use and ‘recycle’ food in a way that doesn’t feel like you are having leftovers, giving you a fresh and delicious new dish every day!
Using fruit or veggies that are about to turn, stale bread that’s been sitting in the bread bin for a fortnight, leftover casseroles or roast potatoes, there are endless possibilities!
I spend way too much time Googling this and that, testing this recipe out and then this one, so I’ve decided to make it much easier: Together, we’ll compile an ever-growing directory of our favourite recipes for leftover food!
I will add more as I come across them and try them out; please also add your own recipes or links in the comments section below (I will include these in our list together with your name) so we can eventually have the mother of all leftover food directories!
First off, some great ingredients and items to have on hand are:
- Frozen Pastry Sheets (or if you are a Domestic Goddess, make your own!)
- Handy for making pies and pastries out of leftovers, both savoury and sweet
- Flour, Milk & Eggs (the usual suspects)
- Frozen vegetables
- Great to have around as a super quick and healthy side dish when you’re in a hurry
- Instant Mashed Potato Mix
- Great as thickener – adds a nice tang to a dish
- Another great side dish that is super quick and easy
- Pie Press:
- The perfect small kitchen appliance for using up leftovers! I use mine to make mini pies out of leftovers that are great for lunches! Checkout Sunbeam’s Pie Maker (I use the older version of this one and it is brilliant! I’ve used it regularly over the last 6 years and still going strong!)
- Beef Mince Meat
- Bread (Stale)
- The Guardian: 20 Recipe Ideas for Using up Leftover or Stale Bread
- Dimitra’s Stale Bread Quiche:
- Cut the crust off 10 slices of stale bread and lay bread only in a deep dish. Heat 2 cups of milk and pour over the bread; allow to sit. In a separate bowl, whisk together 3 eggs, half a cup of grated cheese (pick your favourite!). Combine with bread/milk mixture and season: I use salt, pepper, chicken salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Bake until firm and enjoy!
- Homemade Breadcrumbs
- Bread Pudding
- French Toast
- Lemon Curd
- Juice lemons and freeze in ice cube trays: great for use in cooking!
- Vegetable Soup or Stew
- Juice your vegetables and freeze them in ice cube trays – use as flavour for future dishes!
- Dimitra’s Roast Veggies: Chop your veggies, getting rid of any bruised bits along the way (remember, we’re cooking with veggies that are about to go bad!), lay in a single layer in a roasting dish. Pour in a quarter of a cup water, a tablespoon of olive oil, and a tablespoon of butter. Season with salt, pepper, garlic/onion powder and mixed herbs. Cook in the oven until soft in the middle and serve warm.