Always on the look out for everyday solutions to life’s little dramas, I recently started exploring the many uses of essential oils, both medicinal and for cost effective alternatives around the home. Peppermint oil has very quickly become my ‘go-to’ essential oil for so many things, from migraine relief to pest control so today, I thought I’d share some of the excellent every day uses I’ve found! Please feel free to add your own uses for Peppermint oil or other essential oils in the comments below!
- Relief from Muscular Pain: Being a natural painkiller and muscle relaxant, peppermint oil is a great, safe alternative to pharmacutical pain relief creams. Massage a couple of drops onto aching muscles for a soothing effect.
- Ease Congestion: Add a few drops of peppermint oil to your diffuser to help ease the symptoms of colds, coughs, asthma, bronchitis, and for general respiratory well being.
- Joint Pain: Mixed with lavender oil, peppermint oil offers excellent relief from joint pain. Massage into stiff and sore joints or even add a few drops to a hot bath.
- The Best Cold Sore Treatment! Cold sores are an eyesore! Eliminate them in just a couple of days by dabbing a little peppermint oil on the sore. It will dry up and heal MUCH QUICKER than any cold sore treatment available!
- Migraine/Headache Relief: As a migraine sufferer, I’m all for anything that will help with the pain! Massage a couple of drops of peppermint oil on your temples to help with drowsiness and pain caused by a migraine.
- Natural Insect repellent: Ants, spiders, ticks, mosquitoes, mice, lice; Peppermint oil is an excellent solution to keep these nasties at bay! Find an excellent recipe for home made repellent here.
- Skin Inflammation: As you would expect, peppermint oil has amazing cooling properties. Mix a few drops into your bath for help with eczema or psoriasis for a calming affect.
- Sunburn Treatment: Aside from calming skin irritation, peppermint oil also hydrates burnt skin and relieves pain caused by burns. Mix with coconut oil and apply directly to the burn for instant cool!
- Reduce Fever: While on the topic of keeping cool, applying peppermint oil to the bottom of your feet or the back of your neck will help reduce fevers.
- Natural Hair Thickener: Envious of those thick, luscious locks? Add a few drops to your everyday shampoo to help thicken hair. Your hair will also smell beautiful, earthy and fresh!
- Reduce Nausea: Suffering from nausea? Again, load up your diffuser with peppermint oil for a soothing affect! You could also massage a couple of drops behind your ears for a quick, on the go treatment.
- Bloating and Indigestion: While on the topic of nausea, peppermint is known to relax the muscles of your intestines which in turn, reduces bloating and gas. Try drinking peppermint tea, or simply sniffing on your peppermint essential oil. I also keep after dinner mints in my purse which always help with a tummy ache while out!
- Energy & Alertness: Peppermint oil provides a great boost of energy, with natural revitalizing properties. Boost your alertness with a couple of drops massaged into your temples.
- Cat Deterrent: Mix both lavender and peppermint oil in a spray bottle of water and spray on your fabric furniture to deter your cats from scratching.
- Hunger Suppressant: Sniff a bottle of peppermint oil prior to your meal to help you feel full.
- Nature’s Anti Dandruff Shampoo! Dandruff can be a real pain to get rid of; anti dandruff shampoos don’t always do the trick so why not try this recipe for Rosemary & Mint Shampoo which is safe for all the family!
- Toothache relief: Ahh the dreaded toothache in the middle of the night! Simply apply a couple of drops of oil onto a cotton swab and dob onto the tooth.
- Relaxing Foot Soak: At the end of an exhausting day, what better way to wind down than with a soothing foot soak. Add a few drops of peppermint oil into a small tub of warm water for a relaxing soak. For added luxury, add in your favourite shower gel and a but of sugar for a gentle scrub – your feet will feel soft and smooth!
- Homemade Lip Balm: A luxuriously moisturizing balm can be made at home with a combination of peppermint, lavender and coconut. Click here for the recipe.
- Nail Treatment: Peppermint oil contains anti fungal properties making it a fabulous nail treatment. Massage onto your nails to help reduce fungal nail infections.
Wanting to learn more about the healing powers of essential oils? Kac Young’s amazing book is a thorough and easy to read essential guide to getting started! Read a review of this book here and purchase your copy here!
It is important to note that peppermint oil can cause irritation to those with sensitive skin; always test a drop on the back of your hand prior to use. As with any essential oil, only use top quality, food grade oils, especially if ingesting or for use anywhere on the face. Always seek your medical professional’s advice.
Anything we’ve missed? Add your uses for Peppermint Oil in the comments below!