Although this is a perfect recipe for Christmas, I do enjoy making it all year round. It satisfies those late night cookie cravings and makes the house smell glorious before friends come over (for cookies!)
- Makes 24 soft & chewy cookies
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- 2 ¼ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- ¾ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- A dash of Salt
- 170g Unsalted Butter, softened
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablesoon Water
- ¼ cup Golden Syrup (can be substituted with Molasses or Maple Syrup)
- For Rolling: 2 tablespoons White Sugar + ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 180⁰ C and prepare a baking tray with a layer of baking paper.
- Sift together in a large mixing bowl: flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set the mixture aside.
- In a seperate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light, fluffy and creamy. Beat in your egg and then stir in remaining wet ingredients: vanilla essence, water and golden syrup.
- Shape your cookie dough into small balls (roughly the size of a walnut) and roll into the pre-prepared sugar/cinammon mixture. Place cookies on your baking tray, about 5cm apart, flattening slightly before placing in the oven.
- Bake for about 8 minutes (this does depend on your oven but I find 8 minutes is a great guide!) or until cookies start to form a crackle on top (see image in our header) without going too golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before placing on a wire rack.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container and retain the delicious softness for up to a week!