The Art Deco style has, and always will be a timeless look – learn more about the Art Deco movement in our Art Deco Style Guide. A luxe combination of metallic surfaces, structured geometric lines and high gloss finishes, the style represents a glamorous, high end lifestyle that introduces a sophisticated elegance to any space.
Today, we’ll be looking at the different types, styles and colours of tiles that will help you achieve an Art Deco inspired bathroom.
Art Deco Colour Schemes
Art Deco inspired spaces are minimal, timeless and elegant with a luxurious and rich vibe. Set the groundwork for your new bathroom by starting off with a simple black and white space: you can either proceed with this classic look or develop it further by including colours and hues traditionally used in Art Deco homes such as deep navy blues, powder blues, emerald greens, deep reds and minty greens.
Set off your base colour scheme by using different materials from the Art Deco era, such as marble surfaces and metallic finishes. You can either opt to include different finishes and textures by use of your bathroom accessories (tumblers, trays, mirrors, etc) or you can create a more permanent feature in the space by using decorative tiles.
Decorative tiles work best as a feature so be strategic with their use! Metallic mosaic tiles such as Bisazza’s yellow and white gold mosaic tiles, as pictured below are a great way of adding glamorous patterns in your new bathroom.
Tile Styles & Shapes
Art Deco inspired bathroom designs will traditionally include square and rectangular forms in keeping with the theme of structured lines that define the Art Deco design style. Narrow down your tile search by sticking to traditional Art Deco colour schemes and styles that will set the groundwork for your new bathroom. To learn more about selecting the right tiles, click to read our Ultimate Guide to Selecting Tiles.
There are many different styles and tile schemes to consider in achieving an Art Deco bathroom design:
- Introduce patterns by using black patterned floor tiles, as pictured below. Pair with sleek and stylish white gloss wall tiles to provide a contrasting effect in both colours and finish.
- Wall tiles should either be square or rectangular; avoid trending tile shapes (such as hexagons, for example).
- Consider large format tiles: this will create an almost seamless appearance with minimal grout. Don’t be afraid of using large format tiles in a smaller bathroom: they will actually help make the space feel larger!
- Simple and elegant subway tiles also suit an Art Deco inspired bathroom well, as does a black border tile (see examples below). Do keep in mind that black borders can make the space feel smaller – offset this by pairing with large format white gloss wall tiles that help move light about the space.
- Consider combining different finishes and textures; for example, a combination of smooth, simple white gloss wall tiles, paired with a marble mosaic feature wall and bold matte black floor tiles can provide a striking nod to traditional Art Deco styling.