As Summer is well and truly setting in here in Melbourne, so do all the spiders! I simply can’t stand the disgusting smell of insect and spider sprays and try my best to substitute these with natural alternatives where possible, such as this incredibly simple DIY Spider Repellent!
You will need:
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Steel or Glass Spray Bottle (avoid using plastic spray bottles as some plastics can compromise the quality of your essential oils!)
First up, a quick note on sussing out the quality of your essential oils. You will want to keep an eye out for oils labelled as “Certified Organic” rather than the more common “100% Pure”. Achieving Organic Certification in Australia is quite the process and as such, you can be sure that the essential oil’s contents are exactly what they should be, whereas bottles simply labeled as 100% Pure do not meet this standard and can legally be diluted with carrier oils, containing only a small percentage of the pure essential oil.
Now for the fun part: Making your spider repellent!
- Add 10 drops each of peppermint and tea tree oils to your spray bottle and top with water; Give the mixture a good shake to combine.
- Your natural spider repellent is ready to go! Spray into the corners of each room of your home, paying close attention to any windows as well as doorways that lead outdoors. You can also spray the exterior of your home, again paying close attention to your windows and doorways.
- Repeat every fortnight and we guarantee you’ll see a huge difference in your home’s spider population!
Simple, super effective and a much more pleasant (and healthier!) odour than the foul smelling stuff from the supermarkets!
For more great DIY ideas, join our Facebook Group: Home Design & Decorating 101!
- For more amazing DIY ideas for the home checkout Erin Rhoads’ amazing read: Waste Not. Read our full review here
- Product Review: Organic Aromas Nebulizing Diffuser