With its roots in Roman and Medieval Architecture, Gothic Interior Design is heavily influenced by the ornate patterns and materials found in these two ecclesiastical styles, such as stained and ornately carved timbers, stained glass and wrought iron. Gothic design was initially popular c. 1150 to 1550 and later saw a revival in the late 1900s by the Victorians. Read on for our Top 5 Tips in incorporating a bit of Gothic drama in your home:
KEY STYLE ELEMENTS:
- Be bold with your selection of furniture and decor: Victorian inspired pieces will add a luxurious, Modern-Gothic appeal to your space. Create a dramatic statement with black lacquered and ornately carved furniture.
- Incorporate pops of colour such as rich purple, deep crimson, emerald or gold and pair these with a basic black.
- In terms of flooring, there are many options to add a touch of Gothic elegance to your space: Black and white patterned tiles/vinyls, pure white painted or dark stained timbers, plush carpets, etc.
- Create pattern and texture with use of an ornate wallpaper. There are many wallpapers on the market that are very easy to simply peel off when you’re looking to change your interior look.
- Get creative with lighting! Think luxurious chandeliers and wall sconces.
All images featured in this post were sourced from Pinterest.
Diamond Interiors is here to help! If you need assistance in selecting the best finishes and appliances to achieve your dream home, click here!
What’s your favourite interior decorating style? Tell us in the comments below!